2013 – Resolve To Live More Awesome
Making resolutions comes about as naturally to me as running the NYC marathon backwards. I have a simple default status which I like to call tumble weed. It generally involves sitting on the beach of life and drifting wherever the wind decides to take me.
About twelve years ago, I listened to this guy called Tony Robbins. He told me I should set some goals and in doing so it literally changed my life.
Now I’m not saying that taking charge of your future is the be all and end all in life. I think of it more as reasons and seasons. There are times in your life that it’s more beneficial to be open to infinite possibilities, sit back and let things happen around you. Then there are times to just go out there and make life your bitch.
So, if you’re feeling like 2013 might be the year of the tumble weed for you, then go out and be the best fucking tumble weed you can. Be open to being open, and when the world impacts on you, embrace it and go with the flow and see where it takes you.
On the other hand, if you’re ravenous for change, and feel it’s time to grab life by the balls… then setting some positive intentions, goals and resolutions for the big 2 0 1 3 and working towards them is a fine place to begin.
Every year, I ask myself a simple set of ten questions to remind me to be thankful for the year that’s been, recognize where I am now, and set some great intentions for the future. I think it’s a really worthwhile exercise to go through, so if you’re up for the callenge you’ll need to set aside a bit of time to complete. I usually smash these out over a period of a week…
1. Looking back on 2012, did you have any common negative themes running through the year, such as poor health, stress, mental illness, destructive relationships, poor communication skills, shyness, regret, negative behaviours or habits?
If so, make a decision and a committment right now to improve upon them. If you feel like you need extra help in these areas, I have some amazing friends that can help out –
Dr Paul Wood
Caroline Cranshaw Hypnotherapy
BE Life Coaching
Global Health Clinics
2. Is there anyone (including yourself) that you need to forgive in your life, and by doing so would it make this year more awesome for you, or for someone else?
If yes, Make some time and forgive them.
3. What things can you remove from your life, that if you removed them, would make 2013 a better year?
If you have some, start removing them NOW.
4. Are there things in your life currently that you could make more awesome?
If yes, what would make them more awesome? Ok cool, now go and start making them more awesome.
5. Do you have any goals or dreams in life that are yet to be fulfilled?
If yes, write them down and do one thing a day to work closer towards them. Here’s an article we prepared earlier for including accountability to increase the achievement percentage of your goals – Personal Accountability.
6. Who are the people in your life that inspire you?
If you have some of these people in your life, make a concerted effort to spend more time with them. If you don’t have any of these people in your life, set an intention to attract some into your life.
7. What activities do you love doing? What makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning?
If you have some, do them more fucking often. If you don’t have any, it’s time to get the hell out there, interact with the world to see what gets you excited in life.
8. Are there any people, you could or should thank for the joy, kindness or positive impact they had in your life in 2012?
If yes, make a real effort to go and thank these people. It will make their year.
9. What areas can you be more giving in this year, without expectation? Can you give more time, attention, resources or support to others who need it?
If so, make a real effort to give more this year. Your heart will thank you for it.
10. Out of all the things you’ve listed from the questions above (and everything else you haven’t), what’s the one thing that if you really committed to doing it, would make the most positive impact on your life this year?
Whatever that thing is, that thing is your major theme for 2013. Write it on your hand every day, say it out loud, sing it in the shower… do whatever it is you need to do to commit to making this change a part of your everyday life.
Here’s to an awesome 2013 peeps!!